Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Why Did God choose the Jews?

Why did God choose Israel?

Leader of the Australian Catholics, Cardinal George Pell, says:
 'If you want something done, you’ve got to ask somebody. It’s no good, say, my asking everyone in the congregation will you would do something. Normally you go to a busy person because you know they'll do it and so for some extraordinary reason God chose the Jews. They weren't intellectually the equal of either the Egyptians or the...'

What does God tell the prophet Isaiah? Only if we had Isaiah on Q&A.

God chose the Jews to be his 'witnesses'. Isaiah 43:10 'You are my witnesses, and my servant whom I have chosen so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me...you are my witnesses that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he.

God chose the nation of Israel to reveal himself to the world, not because they were righteous or geo-politically and economically strong. Through the weakness of Israel in their position of slavery, God's glory is proclaimed that much greater. God doesn't ride on the back of nations of military and political strength. If he did you could discount the existence of a God because all achievements could be credited to the strength of the nation. God's grace is more clearly evident through the weak.

Pell was half right.

No comments:

Post a Comment