Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Do children go to heaven?

This is always a difficult question to answer. I've always answered this question in the past by saying 'God is a just God so whatever decision he makes will be just.'
But, it is always nice to get a glimpse of God's justness with a practical example within the Bible.
In Numbers 14, the Israelites are on the brink of entering the Promised Land that God promised Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. They sent spies into the land to scope the place out. The spies came back saying that the land was good but the Nephilim were there and they were big looking. The Israelites complained that God brought them out of Egypt only for them to fall by the sword. God replied to Moses:
 'How long will these people treat me with contempt? How long will they refuse to believe in me, in spite of all the miraculous signs I have performed among them?'.
God's judgement was:
'not one of them will ever see the land I promised on oath to their forefathers. No one who has treated me with contempt will ever see it...As for your children that you said would be taken as plunder, I will bring them in to enjoy the land you have rejected.
Once the Israelites were on the verge of the Promised Land again after a generation of wandering in the desert, God gave them a history lesson via Moses and reiterated:
 'the little ones that you said would be taken captive, your children who do not yet know good from bad—they will enter the land. I will give it to them and they will take possession of it.'

This is just a thought. I haven't looked into it that deeply. There is probably a deeper scriptural lesson that I've overlooked. But if the Promised Land is a 'type' of what is to come i.e Heaven, I'd say this is a little insight into the attitude God has, when it comes to children arriving at the judgement seat.

2 comments:

  1. Suffer little children and come unto me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about all the unborn that don't even get a shot outside? The miscarriages, the terminations.
    The bible isn't clear on this but as you said God is just. He is also merciful.
    I don't have an answer here.
    It makes me think of my own salvation - I am just trusting in what Jesus has done for me. I think you have to trust God to do what is right. He is the judge of that.
    Nice discussion point and a good illustration.

    ReplyDelete