Thursday, January 14, 2010

God is watching!

I came across a sobering statement in the book of Jeremiah today: 'But I have been watching! declares the Lord'
God tells his prophet Jeremiah to let Israel know that he is watching. Watching what? God is getting angered at Israel for doing things like 'burning incense to Baal and following other gods that you have not known, then coming to stand before the Lord in his house.' God is also angered at their acts of stealing, murder, adultery and giving false testimony.
I am not a scholar of Old Testament practices but apparently the act of burning incense is an act of prayer.
So essentially, Israel was praying to Baal and then rocking up to the temple of God. It is abundantly clear that in the Old Testament God does not share power with any false god. Unlike our advanced society, he is not much of a pluralist.
The book of Colossians talks about the Supremacy of Christ. There is none above Him. He is the sole head of the Church. When the supremacy of Christ is compromised within the Church, God is watching.
Up until reading this snippet in Jeremiah today I was wondering why God doesn't protect his church from forces that do not hold Christ and his teaching as supreme. For example, when I see Christian world leaders bend their knee in the Mosques of Allah, Christian denominations holding joint prayer meetings with other religions, secular liberalism asserting itself in the church, churches being run by a cult of personality where the attendees follow the leader rather than Christ and when I see Christian books espousing speculative philosophical theories that people devote more time to than the Word of God, I have tended to think that maybe it's all okay with God. Maybe he doesn't have a real interest at the end of the day about what is being done in his name. Maybe the church should move with the times and embrace social liberalism and inter-religious cooperation.
But I am coming to the realisation that God is not indifferent. God is watching! His anger is rising. He is quick to love, quick to forgive but he is also unrelenting in his disdain for idolatry and hypocrites. All around me I see the church and church leaders compromising on the supremacy of Christ and burning incense (or recognising the deity) of false gods.
But don't tell me you fear God and then go and compromise the supremacy of Christ. Why is Christ supreme? Read my blog called 'Why I need to be saved? or better still, read the rest of Colossians

1 comment:

  1. I suppose that when the time comes to stand in front of Jesus that people not holding fast to what he says he wants us to do will be judged lacking. Worse so for 'teachers' who lead people down blind paths.

    ReplyDelete